Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Margaret Atwood rocks!

Actually, being a Canadian, I had to read a bunch of Atwood in high school, and she's ... not my favorite. However, in a recent exchange of views on the importance of libraries with a city councilor in Toronto, she totally rocks. Story here, online petition to save public libraries in Toronto here.

"Doug Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) stood by his contention that some of Toronto’s 99 libraries should close, adding he would shutter one of the three in his Ward 2, Etobicoke North ward 'in a heartbeat.'
'All my point is, in my area at Rexdale and Kipling, there’s a library in an industrial area that is an industrial plaza and no one knows it’s there. But it’s there.
'Why do we need another little library in the middle of nowhere that no one uses? My constituents, it wouldn’t bother them because you have another library two miles one way and two miles the other way.'"
What? I mean, whaaat? Honestly, how do people like that get elected?
"his brother, Mayor Rob Ford"
Oh.

Followers