Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Library Day, 3/26/2010

Julie Halpern, Into the Wild Nerd Yonder: This is a YA novel about the trials and tribulations of high school and finding your place. I started this at the library and have finished it since. I did enjoy it, but you'll have to wait until Friday for a full review.

Jonathan Phillips, Holy Warriors: A Modern History of the Crusades: Non-fiction. And history. It might take me a while to finish this one. Not my period - I'm branching out.

Dolen Perkins-Valdez, Wench, A period novel about slave mistresses just prior to the Civil War.

John Sandford, Rough Country, More Virgil Flowers. Sandford writes a very nice Mary Sue. Perhaps he's not for everyone, but he's nice to clear the palette.

Melina Marchetta, Finnikin of the Rock, YA fantasy, could easily be formulaic, in which case I might not finish it.

Howard Frank Mosher, Walking to Gatlinburg, One of my students gave this to me last week - it's an uncorrected proof - apparently she signed herself up for some sort of free book thing, and I'm far from likely to turn down such largesse. More Civil War fiction.

Followers