Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Library Day, 6/28/10 (posted 6/29/10)

Late trip to the library yesterday netted two books:

Laurie R. King - A Monstrous Regiment of Women


This is the second of King's books about Mary Russell, a young woman who becomes the protege of Sherlock Holmes. Our library does not seem to have the first book, The Bee Keeper's Apprentice. Anyway, I'm intrigued, my wife and I are watching old episodes of Sherlock Holmes, so I thought I'd take a look.

Naomi Cahn and June Carbone - Red Families v. Blue Families: Legal Polarization and the Creation of Culture


This caused a stir when it came out a month or so ago - Cahn and Carbone are basically arguing that in the US "Blue" or Democratic states tend to have better family values than "Red" or Republican states, despite the fervent rhetoric of the Republicans. Essentially, Cahn and Carbone argue that easy access to divorces and birth control produce stronger families than restrictions on said.

Followers