Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Library Post, 12/13/10

Sometimes, you go to the library, and you find a great deal. Sometimes, not so much. Today, I took back more books than I took out - unfortunately, some that I have not had a chance to read. This was a danger I was aware of, and some of them I may grab another time if I see them again.*

Anyway, two books today. Almost 3 - they had a new Harry Turtledove on the new book shelf, and I started reading it, and I said "this doesn't make sense? How did we get to this juncture?" It turns out that it was the second book, and the library did not have (right now) the first. Oh well, another time.

Cinda Williams Chima - The Warrior Heir


This looked interesting, it's the first of a trilogy. Young boy in Illinois discovers that he is part of an ancient magical thing, and that he is a critical part of the thing, and enters into an epic struggle between good and evil. Yes, we've seen this plot before, but that doesn't mean that this version won't be worth reading.

Terry Pratchett - Hogfather


Because the season is upon us. This is part of Pratchett's Discworld series. Death takes on the role of the Hogfather - the Discworld equivalent of Father Christmas - and hijinks ensue. It's very good, and quite deep, and a friend reads it every year, and for some years now I've joined him in this tradition, which I think is a fine one. Perhaps this year you will join us?

*If there was a book mentioned in a Monday post that you did not see a review for, and you want to see a review for, feel free to bring it to my attention.

Followers