Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Library Tuesday, 7/3/2012

Four books from the library this week. I must say, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the library today for more than dropping off books that were due back*, because of Reasons. But I did.

Carol Carr - India Black and the Widow of Windsor


I enjoyed the first one, so when I saw this, the second one, I grabbed it.

N.K. Jemison - The Broken Kingdoms


Sequel to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which I enjoyed. I was concerned, because I don't really remember what happened in the first book, but this starts in such a different place, with totally different characters, so I had no concerns after looking at the first chapter or so.

Dave Duncan - Speak to the Devil


The sequel to this (When the Saints) was on the new book shelf. I like Duncan - his books are worth chasing through the library system - but I don't think of him unless I see one of his books. Anyway, he specializes in swashbuckling books about sword fighting types. Very Scaramouche or Captain Blood, or Three Musketeers, but without the historical overtones. This one is magic and swords and mayhem in Europe. Sort of.

Dave Duncan - The Reluctant Swordsman


I like Duncan, did I mention that? So I thought I'd see if the library had the beginning of one of his other serieses, and sure enough, there was this one. A man from our world finds himself in another world, where he is, apparently, a long awaited sword wielding hero. The opening page is the man's obituary (from here), and it states that he went to high school in Binghamton, NY (which is where I am right now), which clinched it. (Duncan didn't, so it's a totally odd bit of character trivia, really.)

*I had a footnote. It was supposed to go here. Ahem.
One of the books I had to take back was The Hum and the Shiver, which I really wanted to read, but it got lost under a chair. This happens, and I will probably check it out a second time.

Followers