Saturday, December 25, 2010

12/25/2010 - Christmas Bounty Post

This is a true accounting of the books received by my wife and I this Christmas. Her books will be marked with an *.

Connie Willis - Doomsday Book

I swear we own this one already, but we can never find it. So now we own it, or we own two copies of it. This is the first of Willis' time travel books, and it's brilliant.

Roald Dahl - Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life *

A collection of short stories centered on Dahl's life in the country post WWII.

Robin McKinley - Sunshine *

McKinley does vampires. I'm not sure if we've read this one or not, but the beginning seems familiar - McKinley is very very good, though.

Elizabeth Moon - the speed of dark


Moon's fictional musings on autism. We have read this one, and it's quite quite good.


Charles DeLint  - Waifs and Strays


A collection of short stories by DeLint, who does quite good short stories.


Charles DeLint - Spirits in the Wires


If I haven't read this before, I'm not sure why not - I quite like DeLint, and this is from 2003. The subtitle sums up the theme, I think - "A Novel of Myth and Magic - on the Streets and on the Net."


Nancy Baker - Blood and Chrysanthemums

Baker is a not well known author of vampire novels. She's from Toronto. She writes very slowly, alas, because her books are very good.

(My wife points out that the preceding could serve as a map of the first couple years of our marriage - Moon was the reason we met [not that book, but Paksenarrion], we read the Willis together within the first year of marriage, I introduced her to DeLint, and we went to see Baker read at a little bookstore down the street from our first apartment, which was how we learned that she even existed as an author.)

Bernard Clayton, Jr. - The Complete Book of Soups and Stews

We've been experimenting with soups and stews for a year or so - they're harder than they look, you know?

Nava Atlas - Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons

We've also been experimenting with increasing our vegetable intake.

Charles Schulz - The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas
Charles Schulz - Have Another Cookie (It'll Make You Feel Better)

We visited the Schulz museum while we were in California this summer, so there was a hefty Peanuts theme to our gifts this year - a Snoopy tie, a Woodstock ornament, a Peanuts game, and these two books from my daughter to me. I especially like the Christmas one, which has some of the very early, 1950s strips, which I like better than the stuff from the '80s and '90s. (Charlie Brown was less hapless in the '50s.)

Followers