Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday Library Post, 12/20/2010

Four books today!

Jill Lepore - The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History


What is History, and what is it for? Lepore looks at the way that the Tea Party uses (and abuses) History to make their point and how they create what she calls "anti-history" in the process. I started this earlier, and I'm pretty sure I agree with her, but I'm also pretty sure that I don't like the way that she writes. More on that later.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr. - Empress of Eternity


I've actually met Mr. Modesitt, and he's a pretty cool guy to talk to. I prefer his sci fi to his fantasy, and this is sci fi (despite the title, which he suggests makes it sound like a fantasy novel). We'll see - I really like the way he writes politics (which may have something to do with a previous career in politics.)

Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora


Recommended by arashi and Rushputin, and described as a fantasy caper novel. As you know, I adore caper novels. Further, arashi and Rushputin have rarely steered me wrong (and never both at the same time...), so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Rick Riordan - The Titan's Curse


It's book three of Percy Jackson and the Olympians! I've been kinda enjoying these, and it would be good to have something light in my reading pile.

Followers