Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Library Post, 1/24/2011

Four books today:

Robert Conroy - Red Inferno, 1945


Mr. Conroy writes alt-history novels. This one ponders what would have happened if the US Army had crossed the Elbe River and moved on Berlin at the end of World War Two. Basically, Conroy suggests that the Soviets would have attacked, dragging the US into the Cold War earlier and hotter than they would have liked. This is one of the periods that I study, so I was intrigued.

Elaine Weiss - Fruits of Victory: The Woman's Land Army of America in the Great War


A book about the "farmerettes" of WWI. I was really looking for a non fiction book this time out, and this caught my eye. I know little about this aspect of the war, so I'm looking forward to it.

Kit Whitfield - Benighted


Ms. Whitfield and I are regular contributers over at Slactivist - she more regular than I - and although I knew she had written a book, and that I had seen it at the library, I have not read it. I resolved to correct this shocking oversight on my part. It's a book about werewolves, sort of - 99% of the world are werewolves, and the 1% live as a frightened minority, supposedly protected by the law. It's a fantasy novel, but it also looks to be a crime novel. As with Ms. Mohtar's poetry, I hope that I like it - it's hard to give bad reviews to the work of people you know.

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl


Mr. Bacigalupi writes depressing post-social collapse novels about how Monsanto is going to kill us all. In a not too distant future, calories are wealth, food is very tightly controlled, and the world is a desperate place of genetic engineering, drought, and starvation. Believe it or not, I've been looking forward to this, so I was very happy when I saw it today.

Followers