Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent, and the guy who reads

Last year, as an experiment, I engaged in minimal periodic fasting during Lent (the 40 [edit - Mike is an idiot who should know that Lent has 40 days, not 30. Thanks for the catch, cjmr!] days before Easter; in the Christian calendar (and especially the Catholic calendar), these days are set aside for some form of personal privation. Traditionally, this means no meat, but many modern Christians practice some other form of specific self-denial.). Specifically, I did not eat until sundown on Mondays. (Weak, I know, but it was symbolic more than anything else.) I coupled this with a selection of readings on food and food ethics. I would like to do the same this year, and so will be posting weekly reviews of food ethics type books. As always, I would love recommendations - I've read Michael Pollen's Omnivore's Dilemma, but anything outside of that would be great. I will also be posting general musings on food at my other blog, here, and I invite you to join in as you feel inclined to do so.

Followers