Monday, July 25, 2011

Library Monday, 7/25/2011

A quick trip to the library today, because the big kid is off out of town with her grandparents this week. So I grabbed a couple of books, and let the baby roll around in the kids' section for a bit and came home.

Robert Allison - The American Revolution


This is billed a "concise history" - all of the American Revolution in less than 100 pages, which is why I grabbed it - I was intrigued. How can you pack something as huge as the American Revolution into 100 pages and retain any sense of coherence or depth? I don't know - that's what I'll be looking for when I read this.

Holly Black and Ellen Kushner - Welcome To Bordertown


Whee! I almost didn't see this, it was on the bottom of the new YA book tower. I'm super excited about this. Bordertown was, back in the '80s and '90s, a huge deal - a YA shared world urban fantasy anthology series, when YA, shared world anthologies, and urban fantasy were all relatively new and strange. (Shared world anthologies were the oldest of the bunch, going back into the late '70s with Robert Asprin's Thieves' World books). When I saw that Holly Black and Ellen Kushner were re-launching the series, I was very excited. When I saw that Amal El Mohtar had contributed a poem to the collection, I was doubly excited. So, I'm really looking forward to this.

Followers