Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaNoWriMo update, for those of you that care

So, I mentioned that I have signed up for NaNoWriMo, the novel writing contest that runs through November. The goal is to produce a 50,000 word manuscript over the course of the month, with the broad motto of: "write in November, edit through the rest of the year." I've been writing bits and pieces of fiction and poetry since middle school. I've even finished some fiction (and some of my poetry isn't hideous, even - see?). It seemed like a good idea, though, given that I'm reviewing novels, to put my hands where my mouth is (that really doesn't work, does it? You know what I mean) and write a novel. So I am. And here's an update, for those of you that really care.

As of yesterday, I have written 4,791 words. Actually, I'm cheating ever so slightly - I have legitimately written 4,791 words since the 1st of November, but I'm adding those words to about 3,000 words that I already had written. The novel is tentatively called "And Jergen, As Always, Said Nothing." Here's a synopsis and excerpt. The excerpt comes from the first chapter, and is not part of the 4,791 words.


SynopsisShelia, a struggling free lance author, is offered a job by her fairy godmother. The job is to be a fairy godmother. Jergen, her dog, says nothing.

ExcerptSheila’s stomach gurgled. She had not eaten since lunch. Jergen followed her into the kitchen, his toes tapping on the linoleum. Sheila opened the fridge. “Damn. Groceries. That’s what else I needed to do today. Where did my day go, Jergen? Well, I guess we’ll take our walk down to the store, then. Let’s see. I’ve got an avocado – if I get some chips and some sour cream, we can have nachos. Maybe Glen will join us, and we can watch a movie.” Jergen, as always, said nothing. Sheila grabbed Jergen’s leash, and headed for the door. Jergen followed. Entering the living room, Sheila stopped suddenly. Sitting on the couch was a woman in a long white dress. She had her feet up on the coffee table and she was smoking a cigarette in a long holder, like Audrey Hepburn had, in that movie. Or was that someone else? “Oh hell, not you! How the hell did you get into my house?” “Dahling! I’m your fairy godmother, of course. Hello, did you not see the magic wand? You think a little thing like locks is going to keep me out?” The woman flicked some ash from her cigarette, which disappeared before it hit the floor, and pointed the holder at Sheila.
More to follow, as warranted.

Followers