Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday Library Post, 1/17/2012

Admit it, you thought I forgot. You thought that, because I was away last week, I wouldn't post a Tuesday Library post this week - you thought that, and you would be wrong. (But only because I remembered at the last minute that I got books today.)

First up, as of next week, I will be switching back to Monday, because I'll be teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays. (and Wednesday evening, not that that signifies in any way) Those of you who schedule your visits around Tuesdays and Fridays (and my stats say that there are a number of you - thanks!) should take note.

Two books this week.

James S.A. Corey - Leviathan Wakes


George R.R. Martin calls it a "kickass space opera." I like kickass space operas. We've got large space going ships, we've got rebellion between the inner and outer planets of the solar system, we've got mystery and romance and danger and zero gravity and hard vacuum. I've loved all that sort of thing since I picked up Asimov and Cherryh, and this looks to hit all those lovely buttons at once. Plus, it's huge - 560 pages (so, you know, half of a Neal Stephenson book.) and I like big books (and I cannot lie...). Finally, there's this cover:

I rest my case.

William Fowler, Jr. - American Crisis


This is non-fiction, about the period between the British surrender at Yorktown (1781) and the actual end of the Revolution (1783), during which time the government (such as it was) dithered, and Washington averted a coup attempt from among his own officers. Yup, I'm teaching US I again this semester.

Followers