Thursday, June 2, 2011

Library Activism

This arrived in my e-mail from the ALA (American Library Association). I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I'm Canadian. I live in the States, but I can't vote, and so I feel awkward calling senators and congresspeople who I did not, and will not in the future, vote for. But many of you are American citizens, so you CAN call your elected representatives. So.

"Please call both of your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121(That would be the Capitol Switchboard number) and ask them to sign onto this letter by close of business Wednesday, June 8.  Also ask library supporters to contact your senators as well.

Senators Jack Reed and Olympia Snowe are leading an effort to increase support for FY2012 federal funding for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and Improving Literacy Through School Libraries.  Tell your senators’ staffers to contact Elyse Wasch in Reed’s office or Matthew Hussey in Snowe’s office.  We need other senators to sign the Reed-Snowe letter as soon as possible.  Please call immediately.

It may help if you describe at least one valuable service that your library provides the community or a success story about a library patron.  Examples include access to computers and data services to aid job searchers, support for small businesses  with marketing data and other resources as well as teaching digital literacy to people of all ages including K-12 students."

Followers